Monthly Archives: November 2010
We don’t have much of a yard, but ‘down the back’ there was a weedy border that may have been a garden in the past.
As soon as the first signs of spring appeared I started some garden dreaming and made tentative steps into setting up a vege garden in the weedy patch.
First came digging… the area was suprisingly easy to dig over and I started with a plot of around 3 square metres. I threw some blood and bone about the place, raked it in and started planting. Tomatoes (4 heritage ‘cherry’ types and 5 of a larger variety), broad beans, cabbages, cos lettuces, two types of curly leaved lettuce and capsicums (which didn’t survive Jasper’s enthusiasm)
I was delighted to see that things started growing! I had to run out a few nights to cover the tomatoes when it threatened to frost – I put them in 2-3 weeks before the ‘rule of thumb’ which tells us to wait until after Hobart Show Day. I started to experience some serious garden love 🙂
So I extended. More digging and weed removal. More nursery visits. I planted poppies (flowers for the house hopefully!), basil, coriander, carrots, peas, butter beans, a second attempt at capsicum and spinach. And I installed a compost bin.
By this stage I was already supplying all our lettuce needs which was very encouraging!
Seasol was administered on a regular basis and tiny weeds uprooted the minute they appeared. I enthusiastically mulched everything in sight – I started with a bale of sugar cane waste then tried out pea straw.
Another extention was then required as my garden dreams became larger and larger. In went sage, thyme, origano and a chilli plant.
A visit to the Farmers Market seedling stall lead to temptation. I put in a couple of zuchinnis, a miniature cantaloupe and I’m checking everyday for signs that my beetroot and cucumber seeds have germinated.
And now… I officially declare my garden FULL.
Market preparations are coming together very nicely 🙂
And little paper mache boxes decorated in a similar manner – I think they’ll look nice displayed on our table.
My favourite things to make have been these covered button hair slides:
Ohhh the colour balance on this pic is way out… but you get the idea 🙂
The things I disliked making the most were these brooches
In order to scupt the petals on these flowers I melted the edges very carefully with a naked flame. This all started with me trying to convert some lovely red silk dupioni into flowers. But I couldn’t work it out so I ended up with nylon chiffon which isn’t the most enjoyable material to work with. They look good though 🙂
I’ve also got bags, swans, zippered pouches and gift tag sets…. I’m nearly finished with the packaging/presentation side of things so this leaves me with a whole week to create more things!! I just can’t decide what I should make! LOL